Monday, January 8, 2018

'Maacher Jhol' on my Kadai

Scene 1: My Home
==============
Mom: Why you putting that fish aside? Gulp it up or eat that with the rice.
Tiny Me: I don't like fish. Why you didn't make chicken today?
Mom: Fish is good for your eyes. If you finish that fish you will be Super Intelligent.You will have glowing skin, shiny hair!
Me: Really? (Swallowing the fish with some water)

Scene 2: Lunch at some relative's marriage day 
====================================
Aunty1: You are not eating anything?
Me: No No, I am eating. See!(putting some white rice in my mouth)
Aunty1: Why are you eating white rice? Take some fish! (On top of her voice) Get a fish for her and some curry.
Me(Silently, inspecting a storm following): I don't like fish.
Aunty2: What? You don't eat fish? What is happening to all these Bengali kids nowadays? Your Mom didn't tell you how beneficial it is? 
Me: Ummm, she did. Still, I don't like the taste.
Aunty1: Okay, at least take some Dal and curry. 
Me: Do you have anything vegetarian? Actually, the Dal is with Fish Head and even that curry.
Aunty2: Let me get you an Ice Cream!

Scene 2056:Bangalore Office
========================
👨 : Where are you from?
Me : Kolkata, I am Bengali.
👨 : Oh, So you must be very fond of fishes? I heard you eat fish for breakfast?
Me : Ummm(Rolling my eyes), No. Actually, I don't like fish much. But, I love sweets!(Trying to defend my Bangaliyana.)

Scene 4987: Introduction to my next door neighbor in US
==========================================
Neighbour: Hey, where are you from?
Me : West Bengal, Kolkata. And You?
Neighbour: Chennai. I  never met anyone from Kolkata before. But, I heard that you eat Fish a lot. We are Iyer Brahmin and vegetarians. 
Me: Yeah, we just love Fish!

And the above stories still continue...

There is a general perception that Bengalis are all about "Maacher Jhol"(Fish Curry).  Maybe, the majority of Bengalis proudly declare that a meal without a piece of Fish is incomplete. But, there are exceptions too! Is that so hard to believe?Okay, maybe I have never met a Tamilian who hates Dosa or a Telegu who resents Idli or a Punjabi who loathes Rajma-Chawal. But, I am sure they are out there somewhere. It's just that I have not met them yet!

After moving to the US, I eat fish once in a while. My husband loves "Maacher Jhol". Even my three-year-old daughter got her Dad's taste buds. Or, is it her Bengali gene calling for fish? Who knows? For their sake, I cook fish sometimes. 

I like to cook and experiment recipes. Sometimes, it goes well and sometimes, it is awful. But I never experimented with my Fish. I cook it as a routine. Maybe, that's because I never had cravings for Fish! Yesterday night, for the first time, I desired for that fish curry while watching the Movie "Macher Jhol".


I loved that movie. The plot of the film is refreshingly different. The ingredients are added in the exact proportion and that's why it turned out pretty delicious. Surprisingly, there is Football, Fish Curry and  Rabindra Sangeet that will tickle the Bengali Nerve; but, there is no Antel Monologues. All the characters stand strong and the story flows easily.

Paris-based Masterchef returns to Kolkata after 13 years to see his ailing mother. His mother throws a challenge to treat her to a "Maacher Jhol", he had cooked as a teen. What happened next? I won't share the story here since I believe the movie deserves a watch. I can only say, the movie left a sweet and tangy aftertaste or wait a minute, is that the Orange Fish taste that lingers in my mouth?

I am off to cook my "Macher Jhol". What are you cooking today?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Justin Bieber, Gold Price in India