Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Play a Game and Teach Colors to Kids

Me: 'Color Color'
My Daughter: 'What Color?'
Me: 'I want Pink!'
A pink cereal goes into her mouth. 

We started playing this color game when my daughter was a year old. I didn't know how to teach her colors. But soon it became a hit. We played it anytime, anywhere. Now, she is a PRO. It is difficult to catch a child's attention and then to hold it for some time is an another challenge. So, how to teach an infant something new? Play a GAME! Play it often!

Initially, she didn't pay much attention. But, after repeating the same game with different props, she started participating. She got the understanding that those are called colors and each one of them has got a name. However, it took a few more months to match the right color with the right name!
We played the 'Color Color' game every time we were surrounded by colors -  While picking her dress or the spoon or while playing in a garden with different color flowers or during driving when I ask for some color and she looks outside and keeps searching for it unless she finds it. It is FUN!

I heard many parents using a flash card to teach colors. It didn't help me at that age. But later, when she was a little older and knew all the colors, we played flashcards. We played color sorting game with multi color straws. I just gave her a colorful pack of straws and asked her help to sort it out in bundles of the same color. She tried, she failed, she did it. Best part, it kept her occupied for some time.

Now, my girl is 2 years and 10 months and will be celebrating her 3rd Birthday in two months.  She has already asked for a pink cake, purple balloons, and a red dress. A few days back, we were shopping for a swim suit for her. My husband picked one and asked  her  "You like this blue one?" She stood there with her hands on her waist and said: " No daddy, that's not blue, that is TURQUOISE". My husband was speechless, amazed and proud. And I just smiled.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Justin Bieber, Gold Price in India